10 fevereiro, 2010

THE DARK SIDE OF HALD

THE DARK SIDE OF HALD



Once student at Hald*, you will never be the same person again. It is not an exaggeration for the school project name is Changing students for life.

And it is true that we experience many good things when we are there. Just the fact that you are in another culture alone brings such a amazing learning opportunity to ones life.


But there are many hard times as well, and that’s what here I call THE DARK SIDE OF HALD.


In my view there are three faces of the dark side, that in my experience where the most significant:


- The reverse Cultural shock ( 1) ,
- The risk of having a event or a loss in the family(2) and
- The risk of meet so different and special people, that you probably never see again (3)


- The reverse cultural shock

o I think I went to deep. I really dig in the culture, to the point of feeling myself as one of them. It was amazing to see how I really enjoyed the good things about it and how the bad where not that bad. Therefore, my shock coming back was harsh.

o On my time back home I´ve been dreaming of Norway for at least 1 year. It was hard to adapt to very common things at my own culture, such as food, TV, and the way people relate with each other.

Lucky me I hold a personal relation to God, and therefore, in Him I found a way to make this hard time positive.
First, the “depression time" ( when you think life is worthless) is finally over, and now I have a better view of the bad and of the very good of my country/culture

Endurance and patience are virtues not very exercised nowadays. I had the rich opportunity to be practicing it, what could bring one more faith and humbleness.



- The risk of having a event or loss in the family

o My grandparents, moms parents, are very close to me. I even leaved a childhood period with them. They had the golden jubilee, 50th years of marriage, while I was in Norway. It was away too touching to watch the tape and to realize that I wasn’t there.

o My grandmom, dads mom, died while I was there as well. It was weird. It was even more weird since I said her: “Wait for me, I am coming back on one year”. To not be able to attend the funeral was the hardest part.


Conclusion for the weekend…

4 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

Important reflexions, Leandro! I'm happy for you that the most difficult time has passed, and you really are back in Brasil. I wish you all the best in all the new experiences and processes you are going into nowadays! Åslaug

Per Oddvin Stornes disse...

Veldig fine tanker, kjenner meg veldig godt igjen!
Tenkte spesielt mye på min familie, og var veldig takknemlig til Gud at han beskyttet de og at ikke noe hendte med de mens jeg var i Uganda!

Prince Williams Mawanda disse...

Ja, agree with u it can be tough. The change is real and permanent..actually that the reason for the name of my blog.

But I thank God for the fact that once we start seeing the worl thru his eyes all makes meaning and life gets it worth.

Take care man.

Prem disse...

Nice !!! I like your post :D

From a girl who is leaving at Hald

God bless you!!